Friday, November 11, 2011

A Stroll Down Memory Lane!

I thought why not start my blog with a bang and what better the recreating childhood memories. I'm talking about when a hot spoonful of delicious goodness of love would just melt your heart. And give you the warm summer hug....even in winter! And we know winter in Michigan! Yes, that thing, Im talking about that.

I can hardly resist tasting any thing I make. So does my husband, believe it or not he likes my cooking...now if you were to ask my son, that would be a different story.;) But, when I cooked this for the first time I just couldnt get myself to grab that spoon and dip it in there. I kept thinking "What if it is not like what Aai(mother) made?" I just didnt want to tarnish the sweet, wonderful, awesome memory of me eating a bowl full of this on a kinda cool raining afternoon..and when I say rainy...I mean Bombay rains. Google it!
So I waited and waited until my husband got home. For him to try and tell me "Its good. Try it!" Then came dinner time and I had to try...so I did, keeping my fingers crossed. And what do you know.... it was good...rather amazing if I say so myself!:))

So, here Im opening my blog with the very same recipe. And I challenge you to not like it:) I cant believe how easy it is! 



Bombay Chicken Curry:
Serves: 4
Cook Time: 30-45 mins

For Masala: 
4 med Chopped Onion
1 cup Dry Unsweetened Coconut
1 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
8-10 Cloves of Garlic
1/2 inch Ginger

Salt to taste

Method:
1. In a wok saute onions, ginger, garlic, black pepper, salt in 1tsp of Oil. The onion need to be really browned.
2. Add coconut. Keep stirring they roast really fast. Once all done, let it cool.
3. Put it in blender and make a smooth paste. Add a little water if needed. Something like coffee grinder works best! 
This makes a good amount (1 cup) we only need 7 tablespoons for the curry recipe below. It can be stored in refrigerator for couples of weeks and can be used in other dishes as well.

For Curry:
2 Chicken breasts cut in small pieces
1 tsp Oil
1 Small Onion Chopped
2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
1 tsp Lemon Juice
7 tbsp Masala (recipe above)
Salt to taste

Method:
1. In a Pressure Cooker or a Pan add oil and saute onions.
2. Add Chicken, Turmeric, Red Chilli, Garam Masala, Salt, Masala, brown chicken a little bit then add water about 2 cups add more if you need more curry.
3. If using cooker cook for 3 whistles or about 20-25 mins. In a pan cook till chicken is tender.
4. Add lemon juice
5. Garnish with chopped Coriander leaves.
6. Serve hot with Naan/ Rice/ Bread/ Neer Dosa(Recipe to Follow.)


6 comments:

  1. I am soo excited to try this recipe!! I'll let you know how it turns out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Merydeath!...Yes I like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the blogging world! Can't wait to see the recipes you post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Mom on the run. It will sure be a journey!! Thanks for tagging along :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE curry and I can't wait to try this.

    Thank you sooo much for your support about my book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. congratulations from aai and bhau.

    we r very happy for u . god bless you. aai and bhau

    ReplyDelete