Friday, January 6, 2012

Aloo Paratha (Indian Bread Stuffed with Spiced Potatoes)Aloo Paratha (Indian Bread Stuffed with Spiced Potatoes)

Hi Everyone!

Happy New Year!

Well, it seems such a long time since I last wrote, but things have been crazy....and that's no excuse so I do apologize. Today I'm back with another delicious recipe. This was the first dish I made. I was in 8th grade! Seems just like yesterday;)
Our parents were out and being the oldest of the bunch I decided that I'm old enough to cook on my own.:) I helped my mom around the kitchen, but never did anything by myself before this. My mom always keeps dough and boiled potatoes in the fridge, since we used it so much and secondly for time like this...then I did not know how to knead a dough. So, it definitely came in handy!:)

So, I asked my sisters if they wanted to order delivery or if they are ok with eating what I cook...and to my surprise they said whatever you cook should be good. And, off I went to the kitchen and whipped up Aloo Paratha! Its yummy and easy:)) Enjoy!


Ingredients:
4 med sized Boiled Potatoes
1 Chopped Green Chilly
1/4 tsp Garam Masala
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
4-5 Curry Leaves
1/4 tsp Turmeric
1/2 cup Chopped Coriender
1 tbsp Oil
Salt to Taste
2 cup Whole Wheat Dough
2 tbsp Ghee

Method:
  1. Peel and mash potatoes.
  2. In a small wok add oil, carefully add mustard seeds(be very careful mustard seeds pop when added to hot oil so does curry leaves), curry leaves, green chilly.
  3. Add mashed potatoes, turmeric and salt. Mix well.
  4. Add chopped coriander.
  5. Heat a griddle. In the mean time divide the dough in 4 equal parts. 
  6. Taking 1 portion at a time, make a ball then roll a bit with a rolling pin and add the potato mix once cool.
  7. Seal the edges by bringing them together over the potato mix. 
  8. Cover in dry wheat flour and roll with a rolling pin. Make a circle of about 8" diameter.
  9. Once the griddle is hot add 1/4 tsp of ghee. Put the Paratha on the griddle and cook on both sides adding 1/4 tsp ghee on both sides. Once golden brown on both sides, serve hot with yogurt!


2 comments:

  1. Indian food is so delicious. I've really never tried my hand at making it. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vickie, some of them are so easy to make! Try some of my recipes, do let me know how they turn out and if you any questions:))

    ReplyDelete